BlueTooth Audio Transmitter & Reciever

Posted on in: All Posts, My Projects.
Tags:

A few years ago I decided that I wanted a pair of black Logitech Bluetooth Headphones for my iPod. Little did I know that this would turn out to be somewhat of a major disappointment. I bought my first pair from eBay for something like $30 new, which was a steal since most were selling for over $100 at the time. When I received them I tried them on as soon as possible. They were a little heavy and cut into the back of my ears after long use, but the audio quality was fantastic. However, after only 6 weeks the transmitter died and rendered the headphones entirely useless. I called Logitech for support but since I had bought them from eBay and not a “certified” retailer I was out of luck. I bought another pair for another $30 and wasn’t too disappointed since i had still only spent $60. Until the head band on my new pair broke in half.

Determined to be able to use this wonderful bluetooth system for something I came up with an idea. What if I could still use the bluetooth transmitter and receiver, but with any headphones I had lying around, and with any device I wished (not just an iPod). This would allow me to wear my most comfortable set of headphones and receive audio from any source with a 3.5mm headphone jack (my computer for example). So I set to work on my new projet.

My first step was to remove the little iPod control nub from the transmitter, which was easy enough with a pair of good wire cutters and a sharp pocket knife. Removing this allowed me to attach the transmitter up to many more devices without the need of the short audio extension wire that came with the headphones.

The next step was to find an easily accessible, manipulable, and removable audio out jack to attach to my receiver. This came in the form of an audio out jack on the front of an old computer case I had lying around.

Now came the hard part. I needed to somehow acquire the bluetooth receiver from the headphones without damaging it and be able to house it in something appropriate that could protect it from wear and tear. This turned out to be quite a challenge. I found that the bluetooth receiver was in one ear piece, and the rechargeable battery was in the other. After completely disassembling the headset, I decided that it would be best to somehow reuse the housing of the left and right ear and sort of slap them together like two burger buns. This was all fine and dandy except that I also needed to make room for the additional audio jack. Since the battery was actually rectangular, I was able to use its exterior housing as a sort of slot to place the jack onto. I then carved out a space that would allow for some larger audio connectors to have room to plug-in. Then I soldered all of the wires, including the audio wires to the new audio jack, and the shorter battery power cable to the receiver board. Then I hot glued everything together and spray painted it.

After all of my hard work, I now have a battery-powered bluetooth audio transmitter and receiver for use in any situation I deem useful. I have found it especially useful in the car, and connected to my desktop at home. Now its like I have an iPod with over 500gb of storage and high-speed internet access for streaming Pandora. It has lasted me over 2 years and keeps on ticking, which is much more than I can say about its predecessors.

btaudio

Logo smleimberg.com